Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

2/05/2023

The Whale (2022)

Charlie never leaves his house. He works at home, has food delivered, and he's only got one friend. Luckily, she's a nurse since he's in terrible health and refuses to get proper medical attention. He knows he's close to death and desperately wants to get to know his daughter, from whom he's been separated since he left his marriage for a man about 8 years ago.

I'm a plus-size woman who doesn't like doctors, so you'd think I could empathize with Charlie... but I really struggled here. Sure, he's a nice guy with feelings like anyone else -- but I was just so depressed by what he'd done to himself, and his body was only one facet of that. The self-imposed isolation and extended grief felt like unnecessary indulgences, which made it difficult not to judge him and nearly impossible for me to be entertained or moved.

That said, both Hong Chau (as his friend) and Samantha Morton (as his ex) were superb.

C+

Labels: , , ,