Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

12/06/2005

When Will I Be Loved (2004)

Vera (Neve Campbell) is a rich brat who 1) hits on random guys she passes on the street while on a job interview 2) has a regular lesbian lover 3) has a jackass of a boyfriend who she's somehow led to believe that she's sexually inexperienced and 4) is, apparently, completely soulless.

The plot, such as it is, involves a rich guy smitten with Vera (after simply glimpsing her a couple of times) being hustled by the boyfriend and then both of them being hustled by her -- only her hustle almost happens without her help. Is it a punishment for her boyfriend pimping her out? Is it just something that happened that she can't be bothered to set right? She doesn't really seem to care which it is and neither do I.

In short, I don't know when or IF she'll be loved...I don't even understand why she's desired. I mean, when did the "Neve Campbell is hot" memo get circulated? I must've been absent that day.

Oh, and one thing that really bothered me was that Neve bumps into Lori Singer (as herself -- and that's after Neve sees Mike Tyson as himself...whatever) and tells her that she loved Lori in Short Cuts. The conversation goes on with Lori telling her that she's working on her music and Neve seems completely surprised to learn that Lori plays the cello. I've only seen Short Cuts once and I remember that Lori played the cello quite well -- it's a major piece of her story. Stupid Neve.

D+

Labels: , , ,