Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

12/12/2006

The Architect (2006)

I love Anthony LaPaglia. I adore the way his Aussie accent sometimes slips out in the middle of a Without a Trace episode. I find his doughy body and sometimes shaggy hair kinda hot in a "Of course I don't want a manicure! I'm a guy!" way. And I usually enjoy his offbeat film choices, e.g. Winter Solstice, The Salton Sea, and Lantana. Anyway, I assumed that The Architect would be another quiet, beautifully acted, complicated movie that would be right up my alley.

Oh, boy. It's complicated, alright. There's a son deep in denial about his sexuality, but on the path to learn all about it from a suicidal black kid from the projects. There's a jailbait daughter who gets in over her head with first one horny guy than another. There's a mentally ill (read "incredibly annoying") unhappy wife who smashes things with little warning. And then there's the title character, played by LaPaglia, who's being asked to admit that his tenement design has made things worse for its occupants -- chiefly a mother who's losing her daughter to her upscale boyfriend's family because she's on a crusade to make her community safer.

It's so dreary and relentless and I really, really hated it and every single one of the characters.

D

Labels: , , , ,