Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

1/27/2007

The Queen (2006)

I thought this movie was fascinating. It felt so formal but so human. I really felt as though we were truly given a sense of what it might be like to hold such a figurehead position: constantly being judged while trying to live a dignified life of service. I actually found myself on the side of the royals -- which I guess was probably kinda the point.

Gary and I disagreed, though, on the meaning of the stag. It was so clear to me that he represented Diana and that Queen Elizabeth finally understood how the constant pursuit that became a part of Diana's life when she was made royal was what killed her -- that she was compelled to protect the buck as a belated gesture for her lost daughter-in-law. Gary was equally sure that the Queen saw the deer as herself -- that she was imperious but the world was ready to dispose of her. I surely see his point and think it's likely that's what the filmmakers were intending...but I like what I saw in it so much better!

B+

Labels: , , ,