Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

1/26/2007

Little Miss Sunshine (2006)

I was talking about this movie with a friend -- well, more like arguing about this movie with him. The conversation went something like this.

--Me: Everything was so contrived.
--Him: Everything was so funny.
--I didn't think it was funny...maybe humorous at times.
--No -- it was hilarious.
--Come on, though. Nomination for best picture? And Abigail Breslin gets a frickin' acting nomination?" (little aside -- the SNL bit with Dakota Fanning interviewing nominee Abigail "I-did-a-funny-dance" Breslin through clenched teeth KILLED ME)
--She was supposed to be a quirky kid and she did fine.
--And, please. As soon as we were introduced to "vow of silence boy," you just knew he'd be talking by the end of the movie (um...I guess that could be a spoiler but, like I said, you pretty much know it's gonna happen as soon as you meet him. Don't yell at me if you haven't seen it yet.)
--Well, yeah. It's a movie. Things HAPPEN in movies.
And on and on.

Basically, he had a great time with the film and complaints about the plot seemed like nitpicking to him. I didn't have a great time and felt like if he'd just stop defending it for a second he'd have to admit that a decent sitcom delivers more laughs. Then again, this is the same guy who recommended Life Aquatic to me. Maybe we'll never convince each other of anything.

C

Labels: , , , ,