Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

2/03/2007

Jesus Camp (2006)

I grew up in a Christian household and I attended Christian summer camp. Because we were Baptist, our services were much more subdued than what's shown in this movie -- but it was pretty recognizable nonetheless. The "we have it right and everyone else is stupid" sentiment goes for most churches, unfortunately.

From my "believer's" perspective, American religion was given fair representation. There was no snarky voiceover poking fun at the proceedings, no graphics showing how many "Christian" kids wind up turning tricks in alleys, nothing about which the subjects could really complain other than the occasional cut to a radio host with opposing views doing his program. The filmmakers simply let the people talk and taped them doing their thing. Got kind of repetitive -- I mean, I didn't think the little boy "star" was nearly as interesting as the documentarians apparently did.

If you've seen this, it should be pretty clear why I'm not really into church any more. I'm just so glad that God's love is big enough to include them and me.

B

Labels: , , , ,