Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

4/22/2007

Magnolia (1999)

I loved this movie so much when it first came out. I thought about for, literally, months afterward -- it was just so moving and powerful and affecting. It also introduced me to Aimee Mann, who is a genius.

So why did it feel so obvious this time around? I was cringing at the Tom Cruise scenes, which felt forced, and the William H. Macy scenes, which seemed ridiculous. Everything felt artificial this time around...what's changed?

I wish I'd left it alone. I liked the movie I remembered...

B- (down from an "A+")

Labels: , , ,