Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

1/19/2008

Juno (2007)

No doubt about it, the dialogue is clever. Maybe too clever. Maybe so clever that I kept thinking "I don't know anyone who can come up with so many clever quips in quick succession...let alone several people in one room doing it." But then I got kind of acclimated to the style and was able to enjoy myself rather than continuing to point out how unbelievable it was.

I'm glad I got to that point pretty quickly because it really is a gem of a movie. For me, however, it belonged to Jennifer Garner and Jason Bateman -- I mean, wow. Really, the entire supporting cast is amazing, but those two are standouts. I'll whoop if they (especially Bateman) get noms.

Oh - one other thing - even though I finally got used to the conversational riffs, I never could get on board with the soundtrack. I might actually want to buy it, but its use in the film demanded attention...like I had to listen to every word rather than letting it be ambience for the visuals.

A-

Labels: , , , ,