Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

9/19/2008

Snow Angels (2008)

Ugh. David Gordon Green again. Hopefully, next time, I'll remember that I don't like this guy! While I'm at it, I might as well remind myself that Sam Rockwell skeeves me out -- he must be irresistibly drawn to every "annoying asshole" role that lands on his desk. I'm pretty sure I haven't enjoyed him since Galaxy Quest.

OK. Down to the movie. The "main" story -- and there are quite a few fighting for attention here -- centers on Annie, a single mother who is dodging the advances of her ex-drunk ex-suicide attempt ex-husband who's now got himself some religion and believes that means he should get himself some Annie as a reward, while sneaking off to cheap hotel rooms with her best friend's husband. It doesn't much matter to me that most of the scenes were intensely, uncomfortably authentic -- it was a little like being impressed at a restaurant because "that tasted exactly like vomit!"

As much as I'd love to slap an "F" on 75% of this movie, it gets bumped up on the strength of a couple of the satellite stories: the lovely romance between two high schoolers (I'd love to see an entire movie about these two -- directed by someone else though, please) and the fierce loyalty of Annie's best friend (Amy Sedaris!).

C-

Labels: , , , ,