Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

10/01/2008

Sex and the City (2008)

I would call myself a casual fan of the show. I've watched all of the episodes on DVD and have always enjoyed the dynamic of the central foursome (though I "couldn't help but wonder" how in the heck Charlotte ever crashed into that bawdy group -- she's definitely the one of those things that's not like the others).

So, I was definitely looking forward to revisiting the group, though I was worried that there might not be much story left since so much of the pleasure of SATC was the search that was the real reason for all that sex. Well, my worries were founded. Charlotte's married, Miranda's married, Carrie's getting married, and Samantha is more settled than she's ever been and living in LA with her longtime himbo. Well...what's interesting about that? Apparently nothing since the script decides to rip apart everyone's relationships (except for Charlotte, who gets an extra serving of happy instead. Aww.).

I'm all for bumps along life's road being explored -- but I'm not for characters I feel that I know intimately behaving in ways that have absolutely no resemblance to their TV show selves. Carrie falling apart at the seams and walking away from Big -- BIG?? -- over what amounts to his momentary cold feet? Oh please. This is a man she continued to love through his marriage and her near-marriage -- through dozens of relationships. There's no way. And Samantha behaving like an undesirable, weight-gaining housewife when there's a willing lothario next door to stave off the loneliness? Uh-uh. She would never. And then there's Steve -- with the way he talk-talk-talks everything to death, there's no way that Miranda wouldn't have known how close to danger their marriage was.

You know, maybe this is the way the show always was. Dishing out mini-problems for the gals to be solved by the end of the episode. Unfortunately, this episode was nearly 2 1/2 hours long, so I was just annoyed by the way everyone was taking so long to just wake up and behave rationally, for goodness' sake -- plus Jennifer Hudson was in this one, which didn't help at all. I like it when she sings, but she cannot act.

C+

Labels: , , , ,