Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

12/06/2009

Gomorrah (2008)

I'm almost embarrassed to admit it, but I had a hard time following this movie. The Netflix sleeve insisted that the tales were "intertwined," but I felt more as though we were simply skipping between half a dozen disparate stories -- the only commonalities between them being the threat of violence and the actuality of violence.

Without the context of what was happening (an overview of which appears in blocks of text only after the movie's images have played), it was simply a lengthy visit with the horror of Italian gangs and their recruitment. Nothing was incisive, so nothing wound up sticking. It was just too much stuff with too little meaning.

C-

Labels: , , ,