Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

1/10/2015

Wit (2001)

Emma Thompson plays Vivian Bearing, a poetry professor who took a no-nonsense approach to her professional life and chooses to do the same when diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer.

This is, truly, just about perfect. There's a lot of speaking straight to the camera -- there's no attempt to hide the stage origin of the script -- but it works beautifully. She comments on what's going on now and shares memories in gorgeous flashbacks of her childhood, college, and teaching years.

I saw it for the first time more than a dozen years ago and it has stayed with me. It was surprising to find that I'd remembered it so precisely -- I guess that's what happens when one's so strongly affected by art: it takes up residence in your soul.

A+

Labels: , , ,