Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

3/24/2019

Bird Box (2018)

I put this off for a while because, when I heard the premise, I just thought "Oh. Gotcha. A Quiet Place but with sight rather than sound." But this is a different movie altogether.

Switching back and forth from the present to the past -- seeing not only the present situation but also the early days -- was a powerful way to tell the story. Yes, our protagonist is a hard woman, but there's a reason for that. Most people haven't survived but she's gotten through on strength and savvy.

Worthwhile for the smart scares, but I do want to mention that this is the second film in a row in which Bullock was overly made-up when it didn't fit the situation. Ocean's 8 made both my husband and I chuckle audibly when she comes in for her parole hearing with raccoon eyes & the same thing went on here. It's an apocalypse situation & she's holed up in a gay couple's house... where the hell is she getting the Maybelline? It frankly made me sad at the thought that Bullock may not be comfortable looking "real."

B+

Labels: , , ,