Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

4/06/2019

Certain Women (2016)

We peek into the lives of three women, loosely linked by location.

One is a lawyer with a messy personal life and a particularly problematic client. The next seems alone in her own family: she doesn't quite jive with her husband and daughter and her high standards make it difficult for them to bridge the gap. The last is a seasonal ranch hand who finds something to look forward to when a young lawyer from out of town starts teaching a weekly adult education class.

I felt invested in these lives because the director made sure I felt the frustration -- the longing for more -- pulsing through each of them and manifesting in different ways. I have great appreciation for the deliberate pace, which allowed me to feel the way in which time can begin to slip away and one's life can become just a series of days to get through. I know it could've been boring, but I found it to be simply truthful.

B+

Labels: , ,