Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

4/16/2019

The Incredible Jessica James (2017)

Jessica is a struggling New York-based playwright freshly single. She teaches a children's theater workshop, can't stop obsessing over her ex, is ready to be disappointed by new guys, and is utterly self-centered. And that inflated sense of self-worth is at its absolute off-putting peak for the first 10 minute or so of the film, which almost had me bailing. I am so glad that I stuck with it.

As we watch Jessica fumble her way through her job, dating life, and family life, we get to know her. It's easy to see that her strong personality is a must, otherwise she could crumble. I feel very lucky to have spent time watching her stumble and recover.

Chris O'Dowd is at his very best here as Jessica's rebound guy.

B+

Labels: , ,