Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

3/29/2020

After Truth: Disinformation and the Cost of Fake News (2020)

Sobering/maddening look at the way in which the right has been passing off fiction as news -- destroying reputations, livelihoods, and public trust with abandon. The moral bankruptcy and shortsightedness of this behavior is even more surprising when you realize that some are doing it for no other reason than attention (see Jacob Wohl).

As angry as I got at this criminal behavior masquerading as free speech, I was even more troubled to hear that some on the left think that we, too, should be engaging in the same disgusting behavior. Since pushing lies helpful to one's cause has been proven to be such an effective weapon for the right, why shouldn't we use it too? I think it's obvious why this would be dangerous -- why at least one group must make truth of paramount importance... but I'm starting to think we may be too far gone for it to matter.

B

Labels: , , , ,