Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

8/20/2021

Miss Americana (2020)

I'm a casual fan of Taylor Swift -- I've heard her hits, but I've never seen her in concert nor even listened to one of her albums straight through. But I really enjoy "how the sausage is made" peeks into the entertainment industry and this is no exception; it might even be one of the best of the genre. It's basically a female "May It Last" and that, for me, makes it even more important since we all know that women are under more pressure and scrutiny than men in every industry, but none more than showbiz.

This isn't what I'd call an "unvarnished" documentary, but we do get glimpses. She's honest about her insecurities and the way that public backlash contributed to, for example, an eating disorder. I actually got goosebumps as she and Jack Antonoff wrote "Getaway Car" right in front of us. She's undoubtedly a huge talent.

B+

Labels: , , ,