Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

10/19/2007

Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man (2006)

We find out precious little about Cohen in this documentary, just short personal stories tucked between numbers from a Canadian concert in Cohen's honor.

There are a couple of really good performances -- Antony's in particular stands out, both Gary and I were moved to tears (you can stream a snippet of it from this page, but I can't figure out how to simply link the snippet itself) -- but most are perfunctory. Still, I choose boring over the grotesque performances by Rufus and Martha Wainwright. They both seemed to think the concert was about them rather than Cohen. Ew.

In short, Antony was great, Teddy Thompson's was really good -- the rest were either blah or downright disgusting.

D+

Labels: , , ,