Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

10/12/2008

So Much So Fast (2006)

It's an extremely interesting and sobering subject for a documentary: a man is diagnosed with ALS and his non-doctor brother goes on a guerrilla research mission for a cure. And it's also incredibly informative about the way the drug companies work and why some diseases get little attention in the medical community.

But, despite the fascinating theme, I don't think much of it as a film. Yes, I felt for the family and the tragedy of a young man losing so much of himself so quickly, but they were not a very interesting group (and I realize it's slightly horrible to admit that). I mean, I don't think that people in crisis have a responsibility to make sure I'm not bored, but I do think that not everything is at its most potent on film. Putting the struggle and the avenues explored and abandoned during research on the page rather than the screen would have been a better choice, in my opinion.

C+

Labels: , , ,