Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

7/10/2009

Two Lovers (2009)

Joaquin Phoenix plays a depressed man-child working at the dry cleaners his dad owns. With a broken engagement and two suicide attempts in his near past, I understand why his parents are treating him with kid gloves, but what I didn't get was why on earth the building's hot girl (Gwyneth Paltrow) and the down-to-earth daughter of his parents' friends, both gorgeous, seem to think he's worthwhile as a paramour.

I seriously didn't understand what Phoenix was doing here. He seemed to be dreary, slow-witted, and suffering from a speech impediment. When you consider that he's also calling his parents' cluttered apartment "home" -- I mean, how were women even bothering to speak to him?

A slog from start to finish -- I certainly hope he's joking about quitting the movie biz as this is a tragedy of a swan song.

C-

Labels: , , ,