Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

1/23/2008

I'm Not There (2007)

I often avoid a movie based on my perception of its pretension level and this one was at the top of my "stay away" list. So, when Cate Blanchett was nominated for it and I had to reverse my anti-watch decision, I wasn't too happy. Still, it sometimes happens that I'm surprised by a film I was sure I'd hate (Capote springs to mind) -- but, crap, this wasn't one of those.

So. Six different people play six versions of Bob Dylan (though none are called "Bob Dylan") and the narrative bounces between these story lines that seem as though they could never be about the same person...which is probably the point. I'm sure I missed some references that were strictly for Dylan devotees. Heck, from my seat, it seemed as though ALL of the movie must be for Dylan devotees because it sure didn't make any sense to me.

I found it tedious and stuffed with self-congratulation. The only salve to my seething irritation was Cate Blanchett's portion of the film. She made her scenes come to life and was thoroughly entertaining every time she opened her mouth. I wouldn't be upset in the least if she won the statue -- and that's pretty high praise from someone who was not impressed by the whole containing the part.

D+

Labels: , , ,