Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

12/22/2009

Bad Santa, Director's Cut (2003)

I've thought about Bad Santa so many times since my first viewing more than five years ago. It's one of those movies that can make me absolutely lose it if I mentally flash onto one of its many over-the-top scenes. Gary and I quote it quite a bit for a seen-only-once movie, so I was really looking forward to seeing it again.

Well, what a disappointment. Was it that I'd misremembered the funny? Not at all. It was that we picked up a different cut of the dang thing -- a cut that was missing a couple of the best scenes: teaching the always-picked-on Thurman to box and the plucking of a candy corn from behind the advent calendar's repaired door ("They can't all be winners, kid"). Just further fuel for my old-lady-shaking-her-fist argument that there should be one and ONLY ONE version of each movie so we've all got the same thing in mind when we discuss film. Gah.

This version was OK, but I doubt I'd have been laughing five years later if this had been the one I'd seen first.

B-

Labels: , , , , ,