Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

2/20/2010

The Invention of Lying (2009)

This consisted of a series of scenes that elicited half-smiles from my son and me, but it wasn't nearly as funny as the subject matter warrants -- just hearing about it made me sure I'd be in stitches.

Little anecdote: when this was in theaters, Gary and I saw a guy we knew coming out of this movie and he was shaking mad about the "making up God" aspect of the film. While I could see where the offense could have been taken, now that I've seen it for myself, being offended by it seems like more work than the film warrants. I mean, it simply didn't make enough of an impact for its "points" to matter.

AJ made the observation that people who couldn't tell the truth came off, in our jaded perspective as "stupider" than the one guy who could lie. And, wow, he's right. How twisted is that?

C-

Labels: , , , ,