Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

2/13/2010

The Shining (1980)

Oh my gosh. Is this what passed for critically-acclaimed back in the day? I was watching it with my younger son and I actually felt embarrassed -- worried that somehow I was giving him permission to dismiss the films of my youth as wastes of time (thankfully The Empire Strikes Back came out the same year, so he knows he can't do that). I can't imagine how Stanley Kubrick must feel about it...I was cringing at it wasn't even my fault.

Shelly Duvall, in particular, was hysterical -- especially at the end when she's running around with a knife, as though she's a marionette being controlled by someone having a seizure. Don't even get me started on the horrendously annoying score.

D-

Labels: , , ,