Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

3/03/2010

The Last Station (2009)

First, a little rant about our local arty/indie theater: I've just about had it with the Moxie and its atrocious sound system. Why is it so much worse in the new building (both theaters) than in the old one? I've been frustrated by the muddled delivery, which takes me out of the film, for several movies that I'm sure I would've otherwise liked pretty well (An Education, Crazy Heart) and one that I know I loved and would've rewound to catch the lines that were lost, had I the ability (A Single Man). I pretty much wait for DVD if the only other option is the Moxie...unless I have to see a film before the Oscars and it won't be released in time.

Anyway. This was yet another film ruined by the bad sound -- and I, frankly, have no idea if I would've enjoyed it with decent acoustics because I'm not sure what was HAPPENING with the bad ones. Was it well acted? Certainly. Was it clever? No idea. It was tolerable in the venue only because McAvoy and Mirren are both such goodwill-inducing performers that I probably be willing to watch a series of still-frames for a couple of hours if they were the featured subjects.

C

Labels: , , , ,